Initial spending bonuses are the meat-and-white-rice of the travel hacking plate lunch. But, all the other points and miles you’ll earn in regular and bonus spending are the mac-salad-and-kim-chee. That is, you can’t make a good plate lunch without the whole assembly. This post will be a working list of all the side salad opportunities out there:
CREDIT CARD PROMOS — these opportunities for cash back, points, miles, or prizes, are generally tied to specific cards used at specific retail locations; of these programs, Amex Offers is by far the most robust and rewarding.
- Amex Offers Website
- Bank of America BankAmeriDeals (login to account required)
- JCB Promotions
- MasterCard Easy Savings (business cards only)
- Mastercard Priceless Surprises
- VISA Savings Edge (business cards only)
- VISA Special Offers
SHOPPING PORTALS — my personal strategy is to focus on cash back shopping portals, to make back some or all of the annual fees we’re spending on every year. But, don’t ignore all the incredible points and miles opportunities that can come up from time to time. You can use a “Shopping Portal Search Engine” like evreward or Cash Back Monitor to find the best current rates. Note: Shopping Portals have not been evaluated for reliability or ease of use.
CASH BACK PORTALS
- Be Frugal
- Citi Bonus Cash
- Discover Deals
- Ebates (referral)
- Mr. Rebates
- Top Cash Back (referral)
- UPromise (for college savings)
- Amtrak Guest Rewards
- American Airlines AAdvantage
- Alaska Mileage Plan
- British Airways
- Choice Privileges
- Delta SkyMiles
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Hilton HHonors
- JetBlue ShopTrue
- Southwest Rapid Rewards
- Spirit Airlines
- United Airlines
- Virgin Elevate
CREDIT CARD POINTS PORTALS
DINING PROGRAMS — There are two major dining loyalty programs that partner with travel companies — Dining Rewards and Mogl. These can be a huge driver of points and miles earning.
SURVEY WEBSITES — these sites give you points and miles for taking surveys about yourself. It’s an incredible time suck and you are asked for A LOT of information. Up to you if it’s worth your time and privacy. There are a lot of different survey websites out there, but these are the few that Ryan has actually tried.
HAWAIIAN AIRLINES SPECIFIC — if you live in Hawaii, there are rainbows and opportunities to earn HawaiianMiles.
- Opinions Take Flight (Survey Website)
- Foodland Maika’i Points
- Hawaiian Miles Marketplace
- Special Promotions like shopping at Ala Moana Mauka Wing (expiring 5/31/2017)
LEX BRODIE’S (AUTO TIRE & SERVICE) CUSTOMER REWARDS PROGRAM — a surprisingly strong rewards program that gives you multiple loyalty programs to choose from, including HawaiianMiles, American Airlines AAdvantage, IGH Rewards Club, and United MileagePlus.
- Lex Brodie’s Customer Rewards (use referral/promo code 008X0S to get 2x rewards on your next visit)
Other posts in the series, The Basics:
- The Basics: This Website is Dedicated to You…
- The Basics: Know Your FICO Score
- The Basics: Tracking Your Credit Scores and Points and Miles
- The Basics: Points and Miles Beyond Hawaii
- The Basics: an Introduction to the Major Credit Card Players
- The Basics: Requesting Your (For Real!) Free Credit Reports