Sometimes you need a little bit of flexibility in your travel game, and the Barclay Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard provides it. Whether you’re upgrading your award seats to “economy plus,” checking out at a random hotel without a loyalty program, or getting two tickets for the Shinkansen, this card can assist in bringing your travel expenses down to zero.
- 50,000 mile bonus after spend of $3,000 in 3 months (current offer)
- 40,000 mile bonus after spend of $3,000 in 3 months (regular offer)
- Earn 2x miles (per dollar spent) on all purchases
- The “miles” earned are redeemable as travel statement credits starting at 10,000 miles for $100 toward all or a portion of your travel purchase made within the past 120 days
- Get 5% miles back to use for future redemptions, every time you redeem
- No foreign transaction fees
- Chip and PIN enabled
- 0% introductory APR on balance transfers for the first 12 months
- Access to the Barclaycard Travel Community where you can earn miles for posting travel stories and getting “kudos” from other Community Members
- Ability to pay your annual fee with miles
- Miles can also be redeemed for cash back, gift cards and merchandise (at lesser value)
- World Elite MasterCard benefits
- $89 annual fee, waived for the first year
- 16.49%, 20.49%, or 23.49% APR variable, based upon your creditworthiness
This card is not flashy with its initial bonus, earning potential, or its travel benefits, but it really shines in its role as utility player. The $100 minimum redemption, however, can be a limiting factor. Barclay defines a travel redemption as: airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, campgrounds, car rental agencies, cruise lines, purchase and travel agencies, discount travel sites, trains, buses, taxis, limousines, and ferries as defined by the merchant category code.
Consider this card if you’re a beginning travel hacker, you don’t want to be bound by loyalty programs, your travel plans are impromptu or last minute, or if you want to minimize your travel spending to the greatest extent possible. It works best in combination with other travel cards.